Friday, April 4, 2008

Calorie-Shifting: Normal Food and Weight Loss


There are two major principles of dieting:

1. You must burn more calories than you are consuming in order to lose weight.
2. Most diets fail because people don’t stick with it.

Create a diet that is easy enough that people will stick with it, that burns more calories than a person consumes, and the world will beat a path to your door.

I’ve tried many different types of diets. And failed at most. I shouldn’t say “failed”…I lost weight, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but always temporarily.

I do not have an iron will. I can only drink diet shakes, eat only meat, or starve myself for so long. After that, “normal” kicks back in…and so does the weight.

I’ll admit, I’m lazy. I want convenient weight loss. No huge life changes. I hate to run on a treadmill. Actually, I hate to run unless something’s chasing me (or someone is running away with my chocolate). The bottom line is, I like my food, and don’t want to start an exercise program I’m not going to stick with.

Which is why, now that I’ve discovered “calorie-shifting”, I’m kinda pumped.

Basically, calorie-shifting allows me to eat the normal foods I do now. It tricks the body into thinking that it’s got lots of calories to burn. I can SLIGHTLY decrease my intake, still eating what I normally eat, but shifting around the timing, and my metabolism has to keep guessing.

There’s a third principle of dieting:

3. Your metabolism adjusts to a new diet in a few days.

This means that several days into the new weight-loss program, your body recognizes the fact that it’s getting fewer calories to burn, and slows down the burn rate. Most dieters have experienced this kind of “plateau” in their weight loss.

Calorie-shifting uses principle #3 to help with the first two principles.

By using NORMAL food that I eat, but shifting around times and amounts, I can keep my metabolism high. This helps me with principle #1 by burning more calories) and principle #2, by keeping me on the program since it’s not a huge change in what I eat.

It’s very cool, and I’m very excited.

You can find a Calorie-Shifting planner and a set of tools to help at http://www.best-free-information.com/review/calorieshift.htm.

Or you can review Diet 4 Idiots, if you're like me and know that it pretty much takes something that simple to work.


No comments: